Type: New Feature
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Security Level: All
This is part of the Symfony Developer Experience Initiative, which I hope can help Doctrine as well . This is a vision for a console tool to help visualize and manage your Doctrine entities. There are so many options and configuration that I think sometimes either (A) people don't even realize what options are available to them or (B) it's difficult to set everything up correctly (especially with relationships).
Imagine an interactive command that did things like:
- listed your entities
- listed fields in your entities (and their options, nullable, unique, etc)
- Allowed you to change field options (e.g. change a field from nullable true to false
- Allowed you to see your relationships and change options (cascade, JoinColumn stuff, etc)
- Allowed you to setup relationships or setup the inverse side of a one-sided relationship
- Added getters/setters
- Generated helper methods into repositories (e.g. a method to create a query builder that joins a Product over to ProductImages after creating that relationship).
Does anyone see any issues with this? Obviously, this is HUGE, but it wouldn't need to start huge - it could start simply with some visualization and move from there. I think this could bring down the barrier to entry tremendously, and offer (via generation and visualization) some of the benefits of AR magic without that darn magic .