I ran into and patched another bug in Doctrine 1.2.2 (The menu in jija shows 1.2.3 as released but I am not seeing it in SVN or on the web site so I can't test the bug in that version).
When you include a dot in a string in your select statement the function getExpressionOwner in Doctrine_Query fires and considers that the text appearing before the dot in the string is the name of a class. There for it attempts to extract a short alias out of it.
I made a test case to illustrate this:
It throws the following exception.
I patched the bug by doing a preg_replace where all quote encaped strings are removed before looking for the short alias. The getExpressionOwner function now reads as follows in my code:
I am including the patch with this post but I think my version of the code base is starting diverge as I also have a few other things added to mine (as discussed in: DC-701)
Hope you are well.